Once inpatient drug rehab is complete, it will be difficult to transition into your new life of sobriety so be prepared with a plan for addiction recovery…
Many people hold onto the false belief that once they complete a drug rehab program, they will have the self-will, determination and skills to maintain sobriety. Many studies have shown the prevalence of relapse at 89% in individuals who believe that drug rehab is sufficient without participating in any form of recovery aftercare.
Yes, individuals who complete drug rehab facilities learn about the disease of addiction/alcoholism, relapse triggers and cues and healthy coping skills for high-risk situations and emotional regulation. People are introduced to self-help recovery programs such as 12-step or SMART recovery groups. The key to success is ongoing aftercare to help sustain long-term sobriety.
Alcoholics and drug addicts who complete an inpatient drug rehab should be armed with a plan of action for when they leave. Below are some tips for a plan for sobriety after treatment:
• Listen to clinical recommendations for aftercare
• Consider residing in a sober living community
• Participate in continual care therapy
• Learn about relapse triggers and cues and identify coping skills for high-risk situations
• Don’t isolate
• Become active in a self-help recovery program
• Get a sponsor and work the 12 steps
• Write out and stick to a routine
• Work, volunteer or go back to school
• Try and wake up and go to sleep at the same time each day
• Remember that while you are powerless over your first thought, you have the ability to feed it and make it grow, or take an action to change your thinking
• Ask for help
• Take contrary action to what you want to do, reminding yourself that your frontal cortex, the decision making part of the brain, is compromised
An effective aftercare plan must be tailored to each aspect of an individual’s life. This plan is typically the joint creation of an individual and their drug counselor or addiction specialist prior to discharge from an inpatient treatment facility. The complexity of this plan depends on an individual’s personal needs, the home and community to which an individual is returning, and the perceived risk for relapse. Chance is the enemy of recovery success, without a plan in place, it is all too easy to “slip-up” and fall back into old habits. Aftercare plans leave nothing to chance.
By providing continuing counseling, support groups and transitional living, aftercare programs add an extra level of accountability that help prevent individuals from returning to old habits of substance abuse. Aftercare provides a safe environment for individuals to connect with recovering addicts, access to motivational speakers, practical guidelines for coping with stress and daily challenges, and the invaluable guidance of a sponsor. For more information about addiction recovery, please contact BlueCove Homes at 844-425-8326.
About BlueCove Homes
BlueCove Homes remains committed toward the overall recovery process, and in doing so we are truly honored to network with some of the nation's leading residential and outpatient addiction treatment centers. We believe that each new day presents new opportunities to redefine quality sobriety, and our resolve in supporting the client's best interests will always remain foremost. We invite you to join us along the exciting path of redefining life in recovery!